Just as we change our wardrobe for the seasons, we should be changing our skincare too! The winter weather is brutal here in Wisconsin. The wind and cold wreaks havoc on our skin. Here are five easy tips to keep your skin hydrated and looking amazing all winter long.
- Stay Hydrated. Keep your skin hydrated from the inside out by drinking enough water. According to the Mayo Clinic, women should drink about 11.5 cups (2.7 liters) of water a day, and for men, 15.5 cups (3.7 liters). This is a double hitter, as this helps us look AND feel good!
- Use a SPF. Yes, really, even when it is -12 degrees outside, you should still use a SPF. The sun reflects off the snow which can cause sunburn in the winter and double your exposure to UV rays. Simply apply your SPF after your moisturizer.
- Change your cleanser. If you are using a gel cleanser, like Dermalogica’s Special Cleansing Gel, consider switching to a creamy cleanser like the Intensive Moisture Cleanser. Gel cleansers are typically more drying, whereas creamy cleansers are more moisturizing. Overnight treatments. Have dry or cracked hands or feet? Try using a thick moisturizing lotion and then putting on cotton gloves or thick socks before bed. Remove them in the morning and find some relief. Overnight treatments are a fantastic way for your skin to absorb moisture without having to do a lot of work.
- Use a humidifier. Using a humidifier overnight helps to add moisture back into the air, which the furnace takes away. This then helps add moisture back into your skin.
Hair Solutions faves for winter :
- DERMALOGICA’S BARRIER REPAIR
- Great for windburn/sunburn/chapped lips
- Great multi use product
- DERMALOGICA’S PHYTO REPLENISH OIL
- Helps strengthen the skin’s natural barrier
- Protects against free radicals
- DERMALOGICA’S REPLENISH BODY OIL
- Moisturizes and leaves skin feeling soft
- Calms and nourishes the skin and protects the lipid layer